Apple & Parsnip Soup
I wanted to make a simple soup to serve this year as a starter for Christmas Eve dinner. This is one of my favorites. The house will smell warm and cozy when you are roasting the veggies. Perfect for the holidays!
4 small Granny smith apples (Pealed and cubed)
2 extra large parsnips or 4 small/med (cubed)
3 cloves of garlic
½ onion (diced)
2 stalks of celery (Sliced)
2 pinches of cinnamon
1 pinch of nutmeg
½ teaspoon of oregano
Salt and Pepper to taste
Simple Steps to your heavenly soup:
1) Put parsnips, apple, garlic, onion and celery into a 9 x 13 baking dish. (I like using glass)
2) Lightly coat with olive oil.
3) Add spices and Salt and pepper
4) Toss well
5) Bake 375 for approx 40 min or until vegetables are soft.
6) Add roasted veggies to a pot cover with vegetable broth to ¼ inch above veggies
7) Bring to a boil and then turn to a simmer for 5 min.
8) Puree in a blender and serve.
I usually will use an immersion blender for pureed soups but I find this one needs the power of a blender to get it nice and creamy.
I like to use a vegetable bouillon paste to create my broth. My favourite one is “Better Than bouillon” Organic Vegetable base.